HOW TO PREPARE NIGERIA BLACK SOUP
“Black soup” is a delicious soup common to people from Edo State. The soup is made from the combination of leaves blended together into paste. The soup is easy to prepare although takes long to be ready because everyone wants it really thick. If you have never tried it, the soup is indeed one to try and if you ever visit Edo state at any time, make sure to taste the meal. There are some ingredients needed to make this soup. these ingredients are;
- Bitter leaf (optional)
- Uziza leaf
- Scent leaf
- Palm kernel extract (bangs)
- Seasoning cubes
- Locust bean
- Crayfish, dried catfish and dried fish.
When you have all these ingredients/recipes listed above available, you can proceed to the next challenge of cooking meal. However before you start the cooking process, it is important to note something’s that should be done before cooking starts
- Pick all leaves you intend to cook, and blend till it is very smooth. If you are using bitter-leaf, some people with suggest you wash all bitterness off it before blending while others will boil before blending. Either ways is just perfect.
- Wash you fish, stock fish, crayfish, catfish, beef.
- Arrange your seasoning and chilling pepper in a plate for easy access.
- Boil Banga and extract all the oil into a pot.
- Make everything you need for the cooking reachable.
steps to prepare black soup
- Put the pot of Banga on the gas/stove
- Add your meat, fish, stock fish, crayfish and more to the pot
- Add seasoning cubes of your choice, pepper and salt to taste. Close the pot and all to boil for 5minutes
- After 5minutes, add the blended leaves to the boiling pot filled with contents.. Cover pot and allow it boil for 10-20minutes
- After that, open the boiling pot to know if it is thick enough. If it isn’t, leave soup to continue boiling. note black soup is enjoyed thick and better served thick..
- After observing the above step, open the pot to be very sure its thick enough. If it is not, simply keep repeating the process until you think its thick enough. However, you can add salt to the taste better. If these is done, your soup is ready to be served.
This Edo state meal can be served with EBA. Fu-fu, semo, samvita, and many more. the soup is one traditional soup you will love to try. The soup is as old as you can imagine. This traditional soup will still taste amazing regardless of the way its prepared. A great way to enjoy Edo culture.